How To Be A Healthy and Active Family – Episode Overview
Summer is a great time to become a healthy and active family TOGETHER. With the better weather, we can move our fitness outside and combine it with family events to stay more connected and build in more adventures. We can work together to make our outdoor celebrations and barbecues healthier. We can work together to show up wisely to life to feel and look good – we just need some simple and easy-to-implement strategies. To be ready for life, you have to have a health and fitness plan – it has to be intentional. Because if you don’t, you don’t feel well. And If you don’t feel well, you certainly don’t show up big to life.
Attention and Intention
Each week we focus on attention and intention. So for this show our attention is on health and fitness and or intention is that we learn a way to make summer health and fitness both simple and family focused.
And as always, consider leaving a review for us on iTunes. Here is the link for the instructions to leave a review.
Meet my guest Shawn Stevenson
In this episode we speak with Shawn Stevenson. He is a bestselling author and creator of The Model Health Show, the #1 Nutrition and Fitness podcast on iTunes. He is the founder of Advanced Integrative Health Alliance, a company that provides Wellness Services for both individuals and organizations worldwide. He is also a dynamic keynote speaker who has spoken for TEDx, universities, and numerous organizations. Connect with Shawn at www.TheShawnStevensonModel.com and on Facebook at the Shawn Stevenson Model. Check out his book Sleep Smarter on Amazon.com. Also, hear him with Larry Hagner on the Good Dad project podcast.
Episode’s Key Takeaways:
Eat right – be healthy
- Eat food that you can identify. Stay away from processed foods. Get good at eating real food.
- Make food shopping a family event. Discuss food quality, read boxes together, be introduced to new types of vegetables and fruits. Find organic and natural foods.
- As a family, research where your food comes from.
- As a family start a garden to grow and appreciate what is involved in growing food and grow it organically.
- Go to a farm to help the family appreciate raising animals; talk about humane treatment.
Keep moving – stay active
- Get outside and keep moving.
- Make exercise a family event; have kids and parents do activities together to stay fit and to build greater connection – like yoga, backyard games, and outdoor activities.
- One of the greatest forms of exercise is walking. Consider a daily walk with your family; use the time to tell stories, notice new things along the walk, dream about the future, share favorite things in life, etc.
You choose how fit and well you are. Eat right. Keep moving. Use this summer to develop great health and fitness habits. This is how to Get Your Kids (and yourself) Ready For Life.
Helping our kids discover, develop and live who they are isn’t easy – the world is so loud, pushy and in their face telling them who they should be.
I have found the way to fight back with this pushy world is to be really clear about your abilities. So I’ve built the 3AboutMe talent assessment – a free online assessment for both you and your kids (12 and older) to give you language around your unique and strongest abilities. You’ll find out if your words are competitive, decisive, easy-going, supportive or any of the other core talents. Once you know this, you will start to get clearer about what in today’s world is for you (and for your kids) and what isn’t.
Share this link to the assessment with everyone. I want everyone to know their core abilities to help them be Ready For Life.