Inspirational speaker and author Ria Story joins Jay to share how she overcame significant life challenges, to inspire others to be resilient and use what life sends them to grow and be their best.
Overcome Challenges – Episode Overview
Sometimes life feels too big. The things we are given seem insurmountable – how can we see the other side, never mind get to the other side? We have heard a lot of people share the phrase, “it gets better” – and indeed it can. But it takes work to change our perspective as we go through what life sends us to be able to make it through to the other side. Resilience – tenacity – “stick-to-itiveness” – are attributes of those who show up to life and play with whatever it sends them. I love this quote I just heard: “I never lose – either I win or I learn.”
Attention and Intention
This week, my attention is on life’s tough stuff – its challenges. My intention is that we learn how to develop inner resilience to handle everything life sends – the good And the challenging to learn how to deal with life on its terms and show up on the other side wiser, happier and more connected to who they are.
Meet our guest Ria Story
Ria Story is an author, motivational speaker and leadership coach. She has profound things to share with those going through personal challenges and tragedies, and how to move through and past them – how to leave the victim status in the rear-view mirror. Find her compelling story in her books, Ria’s Story: From Ashes to Beauty and A.C.H.I.E.V.E. You can see all the remarkable things about Ria, her work, strength, resilience and ways she helps others rebound at the following links:
- Website: www.achieveabundantlife.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Ria.Story.Speaker.Coach.Trainer
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/ria_story
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/riastory
Episode’s Key TakeAWays
- Life sends what life sends – our success in life is our attitude about what happens. Every life experience, no matter how tragic it is or it is perceived to be, contains a lesson. Managing our attitude allows us to learn from every experience. Remember this quote from Viktor Frankl in his book, Man’s Search for Meaning, “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
- Tough times are part of the formula of life. When negative things happen, we can feel and act like a victim. As we stay in this space, the feeling of victim gets deeper and more profound. The moment that we see and take ownership of our feelings and attitudes about what is going on in our lives is the moment we start to move past our blocks and to heal.
- Parents – be aware of what events and challenges are affecting your kids. How can you show up to support your kids without either adding to the challenge or trying to take the challenge from them. Assess to find ways to support your kids as they work with you or with outside help to better understand the challenge and the ways to navigate around or through it.
- Parents – how are you creating the life challenge for you kids? How are your decisions adding more challenge to their days? As you tune in to you and your behaviors, what can you change to address a challenge you are creating, to either reduce it or help your kids deal with it?
- Resilience is what it takes to get up when life knocks us down. Help your kids develop their tenacity and resilience by helping them solve their own challenges to see how strong and capable they are when life gets tough.
Some question for parents:
- How can you help your kids see how tough and strong they are when confronted with challenges in life?
- How can you be a safe and sane voice in a noisy, distracting and challenging world?
- How are your behaviors creating challenges for your kids? What should you do about them?
- What is your attitude about challenges in your life – do you remain positive and learn/grow from them or do they take you down? How is your approach impacting your kids?
Ria’s Story: From Ashes to Beauty by Ria Story
From Ashes To Beauty is the unforgettable story and inspirational memoir of a young woman who was sexually abused by her father and rejected by her mother. Determined to not only survive, but also thrive, Ria shares how she was able to overcome the odds and find hope and healing to achieve an abundant life. She shares leadership principles that she applied to find professional success and personal significance, and how she was able to find the courage to share her story to give hope to others around the world.